Building on the success of 2015’s chart-busting debut, Project CARS 2 pushes the franchise and its fans into a blistering new era of motorsport by combining the authentic realism of the world’s most advanced simulation racing game with the pure joy of racing action fun.
This is Your Ultimate Driver Journey.
INSIDE PROJECT CARS SETA TYRE MODEL
Racing, whether it happens in the real or the virtual world, is all about tyres. That’s why Project CARS is powered by the revolutionary SETA tyre Model (STM) that plays a key role in making the WMD-powered title the most authentic virtual racing experience.
But what exactly does the SETA tyre Model do? Slightly Mad Studios’ physics expert Andrew Weber takes you under the hood of the tyre technology that drives Project CARS 2
SETA TYRE MODEL DESCRIBED
Seta tyre Model (STM) is a full dynamic tyre simulation. Actually, it is three coupled simulations, one for the tyre carcass, one for the tyre tread and contact patch, and one for heat transfer simulation. It is also modular, where different carcass and tread simulation techniques can be used interchangeably. For example, off road racing may use a different tread simulation.
The carcass simulation used in Project Cars is a finite element simulation with specific computational optimizations specific to real time tyre simulation. The carcass is discretized into small connected “elements”, each one flexing and deforming due to forces.
- Elastic behaviour changes with speed, temperature, and pressure
- Rolling resistance changes with speed, temperature and pressure
- Sidewall buckling at low pressure
- Bias Ply, Radial, or Hybrid construction
- Gyroscopic Effects
- Dynamic response such as vibration, telescoping, and twisting
The tread simulation used in Project Cars is a finite difference simulation of the contact patch, with the tyre tread “flowing” through the contact patch. The whole tread itself is discretized into elements much like the carcass, but the contact patch itself is a finite difference grid.
- Flash Heating, which is the change of temperature in the outermost rubber layer through the contact patch.
- Componentized grip model. Each component is affected differently by road surface conditions, wetness, and temperature.
- Deformation – the rubber deforming in and around asperities, resisting sliding motion.
- Adhesion – the rubber bonding to surface rubber and material.
- Tack – the sticky tacky grip you can feel on your shoes when walking a rubbered in track, related to adhesion.
- Tearing – the ripping of rubber from the tyre
- Cut – grip from the geometry, edges, grooves, and siping of the tread, with particular effect in dirt and gravel
- Tread channel depth and water handling.
- Discretized and temperature sensitive wear
- Temperature sensitive elastic properties
- The carcass and tread simulations are coupled such that there is no roughness or “stepping”, while still preserving the detail of both simulations. The contact patch size, shape, and pressure distribution is determined by the carcass simulation and is used by the tread simulation. The forces on the tyre from the road surface are simulated in the tread simulation and transferred as external forces to the carcass simulation.
HEAT TRANSFER SIMULATION
The heat transfer simulation handles heat flow between brakes, wheel well, rim, carcass, and tread layers. The heat transfer amongst tread elements, from tread elements to the road surface, and from the tread elements to the air are handled directly by the tread simulation (including advection and evaporation). The pressure of the tyre is maintained by the carcass simulation via the ideal gas law.
Most effects just “fall out” of STM without explicit coding for effect:
Fy, Fx, and Mz vs slip angle curves, complete with realistic nuances, such as Mz inversion
Inclination effects such as camber thrust
Complex and sometimes subtle changes in behavior due to load, heat, pressure, and speed.
Proper behavior at a standstill and very slow speeds, although due to limitations of consumer force feedback devices, oscillations may still occur. Many tyre models break down at a standstill.
Changes in behaviour due to surface differences, such as surface roughness, track rubbering in, wetness, and dirt.
ALL WEATHER, ALL CONDITIONS
Race through all four seasons of grip-affecting, variable weather including snow and ice and where track temperatures, ambient temperatures, height above sea level, location, time of year, wind direction and speed, track gradients and more all ensure that your every race is a new, challenging experience. This is LiveTrack 3.0.
- Angle of the sun affects track temperature
- Fluid dynamics sees rain water run down hills and accumulate in puddles
- Every turn of every track will vary in grip from lap-to-lap and race-to-race ensuring a fun time every time
Live your racing dreams on over 140 stunning tracks in 60 exactingly-created locations around the world. Each track is a living, organic venue that will challenge you in new and unique ways with every visit, lap by lap, corner by corner.
- Dynamic driving line
- Dynamic time of day
- Surfaces that are continuously rubbered-in throughout a race weekend
PURE DRIVING JOY
and many more through all four seasons of weather, rain or shine, night or day, snow or mist, or simply drift your way to driving pleasure. Project CARS 2 is your sandbox—get right in, pick any car, any location, any weather, any motorsport, anytime, anywhere, and have the drive of your life.
Control is everything: The melding of physics and feel has played a pivotal role in the development of Project CARS 2 to recreate an accurate and pleasurable driving sensation. Experience the fun of getting it sideways, the exhilaration of getting it all crossed-up, and the pure joy of racing wheel-to-wheel with intuitive, confidence-inspiring handling and control.
- Experience the authentic, fun handling straight out-of-the-box on all peripherals
- A completely revamped gamepad handling experience designed to give you maximum feel and control
- Force-Feedback settings simplified and improved
THE THRILL OF THE LIMIT
- The “grip-and-rip” character of industry-leading SETA tyre model is deeply-tuned to offer a satisfying “over-the-limit” feel
- A new, advanced driveline model has been developed to allow for the precision-modelling of anything from hybrid LMP1 systems to vintage big-block V8s
- Data from real-world partner Pirelli ensures the authenticity of control
FULL SPECTRUM OF RACING
RISE TO BECOME A LEGEND
Your career path echoes the ladder taken by real-world drivers; choose one discipline, or work through them all.
BATTLE TO ONLINE GLORY
The all-new Racing License Accreditation system brings powerful tools to track your online motorsport career to ensure your online racing career is enjoyable every time you race.
- Your online racing skill and craft is tracked for better matchmaking (optional)
- Your safety rating is tracked to remove toxicity from your online racing experience (optional)
- Save and lock into your Favourites slots, load the car and track combination along with settings, and race your Favourite event whenever you want, simply and quickly
THE FUN OF ONLINE CHAMPIONSHIPS
Whether it’s against friends over a weekend, a League, Community, or even professional esports Championship that spans hours, days, weeks, or months, Online Championships in Project CARS 2 is a fun time, every time.
The Project CARS franchise is a leader in racing esports with tens of thousands of dollars in prizes already won, and partnerships with automakers and other high-end sponsors already tied-up.
- Esports built-in from the ground-up, right from day one
- New Director/Broadcasting functionality
- Annual SMS-R World Championship, weekly ESL Cups, and dozens of Community Leagues.
GO DIGITAL –
Project CARS 2 is now available for digital purchase on Steam, the Playstation Store & the Xbox One Store. Choose between two editions, and embark on your Ultimate Driver Journey.
ABOUT SLIGHTLY MAD STUDIOS
Founded in 2009, Slightly Mad Studios is the award-winning team behind the Project CARS franchise, and era-defining games such as the GTR® series, Need For Speed® Shift™, Shift 2 Unleashed®, Red Bull Air Race – The Game, and many other top-tier games.
With over ten years of pedigree in creating AAA-games, they’re a 160-strong group of professionals working from either their hub in Central London, or worldwide via their revolutionary and award-winning distributed development system.